Translate

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The journey begins...long ago, in a galaxy far far away.

Deciding what to do with your life is never an easy task, and the older you get, the harder it can be to sort that out. When I was five years old, I knew what I wanted to be. A tiger. How I was going to accomplish this career goal, however, proved problematic. This was my first experience with career disappointment. The more I thought about how much I wanted to be a tiger, the more difficult my goal seemed to be, until one day I believed it was utterly impossible.

My next career goal was equally frustrating. By the age of six, I had lowered my sights to fairy. All I needed were a pair of wings and a little pixie dust. The wire and panty-hose wings my parents bought me (after much pleading and a few temper tantrums that I am not proud of) did not elicit the appropriate response, namely, flight. Likewise, the glitter I employed as generic pixie dust served no better purpose than to irritate my eyes and my mother, who had to vacuum up the mess I made.

At the age of six I had already begun to feel disillusionment for the phrase, "You can be anything you want!"

The logical result of these experiences would be to grow up a little and choose a career that was...real? I went through a long list of, "I want to be that when I grow up!" but to no avail (check out Careers I have considered for an up-to-date list). Although I had resigned myself to the fact that I would never change species or become a mythological creature, my goals in life still seemed too far fetched.

In this blog (a medium I am entirely unfamiliar with, by the way) I will take anyone who is willing on a journey through my trials and errors in pursuit of the perfect career. At only twenty three years old, I have already tasted many career paths and there have been plenty of opportunities and pitfalls that have shaped both my experiences and my outlook on life. As you might guess from the title of this blog, I am lost. I have felt passion many times. I have pursued passion many times. I have lost passion many times, and I find myself today at a crossroads, if you will forgive the cliche.

I hope that through the process of laying out my thoughts inspiration will hit. Maybe by stating my thoughts the path will suddenly be illuminated. Maybe someone else will read my stories and offer helpful advice. And maybe my experiences will help others find their paths as well. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment